Just what I read..

Inspired by Nancy Pearl's "Book Lust Journal." I knew I would lose my book journal if I didn't keep it online.

Monday, October 01, 2007

His Dark Kiss by Eve Silver

I admit it, I like trash romance for fluff reading. Those weekends when you just have to unwind. So Friday, I grabbed a stack off the shelf (randomly) since, heaven forbid, someone might see me in the Harlequin book stacks. I get home and I have this book, His Dark Kiss. The first thought was "Great, I hate vampire romance novels." Well this is a Gothic novel but in the true historic Gothic sense of the horrid novel tradition. I LOVED IT!

There are some great plot twists and maybe I would have caught them before page 100 if I hadn't been focused on "this is somehow going to turn into a vampire novel even though he walks in the daylight." I'm not about to go searching out Ms. Silver's other novels though since the writing was a bit on the "horrid novel" side. If that's what she was aiming for, she succeeded but I like my trash with a bit of meat left on the bones so there is something to sink my teeth into. I didn't quite get it here - cook had picked the carcasses clean before sending them out to the bin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home