Just what I read..

Inspired by Nancy Pearl's "Book Lust Journal." I knew I would lose my book journal if I didn't keep it online.

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Relationships within the confines of war, it's something we all deal with today some more touched by it than others. The way a boy perceives his father's love shapes the man he grows into as well as the experiences he has as a child. Culture plays important roles no matter what the proponents of a melting pot or salad bowl say. Currently the movie release is being delayed out of fear for the safety of the actors. I admit that I will probably not see the movie. If they stay at all true to the book, it will contain more violence than I'm comfortable seeing on screen, either large or small.
Concentrating on the secrets which shape lives, this book follows a young boy with a gift of storytelling from peacetime Afghanistan through escape during war to his new life in America and his redemption from mistakes of the past.

Personally I didn't like this as much as I liked A Thousand Splendid Suns but that may be as simple as this is a man's coming of age and that was a woman's discovery of what she could endure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home