Just what I read..

Inspired by Nancy Pearl's "Book Lust Journal." I knew I would lose my book journal if I didn't keep it online.

Monday, October 31, 2005

A Child Called "It" by David Pelzer

I have to admit that I got this after hearing Mr. Pelzer on a radio show. It was part of an anti-domestic violence week. This book is written in simple language from the point of view of an 8/9 year old. And it’s a painful read but it’s something that everyone should read if only to bring them out of their shell and realize the amount of pain that can be inflicted on a child. Scapegoating is a strange psychological condition and it’s documented quite well in A Child Called “It.” If anyone knows about any studies on scapegoating, I would be interested knowing how many of the scapegoated kids are the oldest in the family. I have to admit that this book is one of several on Mr. Pelzer’s life and I’m hoping that the questions of what happened to his mother: (did she ever get help?) and what happened to the other kids when he was taken away? are answered in the other books. I wouldn’t recommend reading this book straight though. Take breaks, go read happy thought books in between. If I hadn’t, I would have had nightmares and been depressed. I did end up hugging my kids after I finished it though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home