Just what I read..

Inspired by Nancy Pearl's "Book Lust Journal." I knew I would lose my book journal if I didn't keep it online.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Callahan's Con by Spider Robinson

I love Spider Robinson, I love his puns, and I love his quirky views on things. I hit his webpage today and although they don’t have a way to contact him directly, I plan on sending him a fan letter. I usually love the Callahan books but I kept getting lost in this one, mainly due to some continuity problems that the editor should have caught. I’m of the opinion that the scenes with Ludnyola Czrjghnczl were added later since most of the continuity problems involve her. I’ve ended up marking my book where I got lost and going back to research to see if my memory was off. My memory was on, the editor was off.
I'm sorry to see the loss of one of my favorite regulars at Callahan's and I wonder who in the author's life had a brain tumor which affected him enough to add it to the story and add a plea at the end for donations. Beyond that though, this is the crowd that I've grown to love over the decades and harbored a wish that I could belong.
Let’s face it though; as much as I love Spider Robinson’s Callahan series, I wouldn’t fit in at The Place since I’m one of those creatures liberals consider mythical – an open-minded religious conservative. I have no problem with a live and let live attitude as long as I’m allowed to live life the way I want to also. If that means I leave the building when you start rolling your own smokes with a plant that has been genetically enhanced to alter brain cells, I shouldn’t be condemned. Frankly, I’ll even go so far to turn my back if you want to slip extra ingredients in the chocolate brownies I’m baking. I’m fine with it as long as you warn me that I really shouldn’t taste them. Luckily, I have friends who know, understand, and love me anyway. I’m just glad I have an o’pun forum to discuss it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home