Just what I read..

Inspired by Nancy Pearl's "Book Lust Journal." I knew I would lose my book journal if I didn't keep it online.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Twilight Trilogy by Stephenie Meyer

So some more on Twilight...

I discuss books with my orthopedic surgeon. He's the one that recommended Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns to me. He's reading Twilight right now and not understanding why every woman in his office and his wife are fascinated with such juvenile writing. I pointed out that it's published by a young adult publisher and he responded that so was Harry Potter and he enjoyed those. He's not finding these as enjoyable. I suggested that he consider it one large book because Eclipse was the only one that I really got into. When New Moon got into the Romeo/Juliet/Paris symbology it got better but I didn't appreciate being beaten over the head with it. It was nice to have the Jane Austen symbols blatantly pointed out because I don't enjoy reading Austen (although I've been told I would enjoy it more if I read Adam Smith first and then looked at Austen with an economist's eyes).

By the way, in discussing it with the doctor, I think I figured out the reason that so many women love this series - isn't it every woman's fantasy to have two very dangerous men fighting over her but in such a manner that she knows she is safe, protected and cherished no matter how shallow and self-centered she is?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home