Just what I read..

Inspired by Nancy Pearl's "Book Lust Journal." I knew I would lose my book journal if I didn't keep it online.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Artscape by Fredrick Ramsay

I agree with the rule of 50 as a general principle. The Rule of 50 is reading 50 pages before deciding that a book is not for you. The exception is that if you are over 50, subtract your age from 100 and that’s the number of pages you slog through before you put it down.
I’m sorry but I only made it to page 33 before deciding that I really could not go any further in this first novel by an unknown writer. The characters are trite and flat. The sheriff; a psychologically damaged, ex-CIA agent still dealing with his Jewish heritage and small town roots. The all-women’s college president, claiming to be a reformed Marxist but calling the sheriff a fascist for his suggesting that her students have a picture ID (I didn’t know there was a college that didn’t issue a picture student ID). And the terrorists planning the crime (including a disassociated FBI agent) – It’s so blatant from the first chapter that they did a dry run. I know it’s going to get into FBI vs. CIA and I just can’t do that anymore. Before page 25 it’s announced that they have an inside connection. Just to be fair, I’ve skipped around in the later chapters and it doesn’t get any better. I’m still trying to decide how this made the Reader’s Favorite list at the library. I’m also looking for even one metaphor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home