Just what I read..

Inspired by Nancy Pearl's "Book Lust Journal." I knew I would lose my book journal if I didn't keep it online.

Monday, January 23, 2006

The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood

So did Penelope really want to be an example of a virtuous woman, held over the heads of lesser mortals while their husbands philandered and used the “I was ensorcelled, I didn’t mean too,” excuse? Did she ever envy her cousin Helen who turned so many heads, including her husbands? Did she have friends among the household either before or after it was invaded by suitors?
I didn’t even remember the 12 maids hanged by Telemachus after he forced them to clean up the gore of their dead lovers. Atwood spins an interesting twist on it, which ended up bringing to mind Captain Kirk as an archetype of Odysseus.
I will admit that I did have to brush up on some of my mythology. I had forgotten the tale of Clytemnestra, Helen’s sister. And I do want to find her source on the relationship between Odysseus and Hermes.
Make sure to read “The Chorus Line: And Anthropology Lecture.” It brings the entire book into focus. It’s much more entertaining than “Helen takes a bath.” This is a quick read with a lot to think about. And brings home the conflict of many women - - Is it better to be thought of as good, or would she rather be adored?”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home